Monday, January 14, 2008

UFO sightings...Monday update

I can't believe its another Monday. The weather is getting back to normal in this part of the country. Got a nice dusting of snow making for great quilting weather. So I took advantage of it to get some work done :cD One of my on-line groups has a quilt along group we call 'the finish line' where you choose one day a week and devote it totally to working on your UFOs. Since I don't usually work on Mondays, today is my day. I started off by getting my BOM basted. I pin basted it, and WOW I did NOT realize how many pins it was gonna take! I really didn't have as many as I would have liked to have really basted it well, but I think I got the job done for at least the center. I spent some time quilting it and got most of what I like to call the 'grid quilting' done. I figure once I get the grid quilting done I'll focus on each block. So far so good with the quilting. Only one tiny tuck that I'm sure I could correct if I want to (which, being the perfectionist I can be, I probably will). I would love to say I got lots done, but all that basting made my carpal tunnel flare, so after about 2 hours of working on it, I moved on to another project. Project number 2 was blocks for a string quilt. I love these kinds of quilts. This will be the third one I've made. The first was made for a raffle, the second is on my bed, but only has a 6" drop, so I am making this one to be sizeably bigger. I am enamored with the frugality of these blocks, and the memories that can be found in each one. Every time I look at the blocks I remember where the fabrics came from. Mmmmmm...warm, fuzzy thoughts :c) I have such a hard time parting with some of my favorites that I am happy when I see every last scrap being used for a project. Speaking of which, I found a way to keep some of those littlest scraps around. It may not be a new idea, but its one I've never seen before. I saw in another blog (which I'm sorry to say I don't remember the name of) where the author kept even the little 'dog ears' that she snipped off in jars separated by color. I started thinking about how could I keep fabrics out where I could see them on a daily basis? Then I started thinking about all the empty spools I seem to have around. Hmmmm...... so I found a couple peices of fabric I couldn't part with, but really weren't a 'useable size' and made these...

Ok, I know the picture isn't the greatest, but I think you get the idea. I was thinking about making a fabric bowl, and keeping them out on display in my sewing area. Now to dig out those little scraps I couldn't part with ;)
So far I have only bought 1/2 yard of fabric for a swap, and have used exclusivly from my stash for the other swaps I have joined. It feels good to be using up some of that 'someday' fabric! So there it is in a nutshell. Pretty good day overall. Unfortunatly its back to the regular grind tomorrow, so I am off to relax and enjoy the rest of my evening off . Warm country wishes!

No comments: